30 Apr 2007

Good words from HH the Dalai Lama

I am reading The Many Ways to Nirvana written by His Holiness the Dalai Lama now, and I found the verses "Generating the mind for enlightenment" so beautiful. Dalai Lama says that these verses can help us cultivate our inner peace and develop altruism. These qualities are not just important to Buddhists. They are in fact very useful for everyone who suffers so much from this so-called modern society. If we have strong inner peace, we will not be affected by any negative situations we encounter. If we all believe in altruism, then happiness will never be fantasy anymore. I agree with this notion, and I hope whoever reads this can take a minute to contemplate the meaning of the verses.

Generating the mind for enlightenment

With a wish to free all beings
I shall always go for refuge
To the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha,
Until I reach full enlightenment.

Enthused by wisdom and compassion,
Today in the Buddha's presence
I generate the Mind for Full Awakening
For the benefit of all sentient beings.

As long as space remains,
As long as sentient beings remain,
Until then, may I, too, remain
And dispel the miseries of the world.


Dalai Lama says to recite these verses three times, and if possible contemplate on the meaning of it in mediation. The meaning of these lines are truly beyong religions.

No comments:

Post a Comment